Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas (break)

For those of you that don't know, I literally eat, sleep, breathe design.  No really, its sadly true.  I work a full time job doing graphic design and a bit of web design for another company, I come home and I work on my Flash and Web Design certificate courses and when I haven't quite gotten my fill, I do freelance design work too!  Normally I love love LOVE this pattern but I do feel a bit bogged down lately.  Time for a confession.  I'm behind.  Way behind.  Not even a little behind.  Let's put it this way...I'm frazzled beyond all recognition.  I have even started to look like this:

Photo Courtesy of Dave-F

Ok maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is mostly true.  I wrote out a list of everything I need to do for school and I am down to 39 weeks to complete 46 assignments and 3 resubmissions.  If you hear some random screaming, please ignore it, its just me.  I am one of those insane people that claims "I thrive on pressure."  Which is very true, the more that I have to do, the more I feel like accomplishing which means that I get a lot done.  However, even I (queen of multitasking) am prone to burnout.  Right now I'd say I'm teetering very dangerously on the stress burnout seesaw of life.  See?  Its bad enough that I'm making bad metaphors.  Thankfully tomorrow is my last day of full-time work for the week, followed by a 3-day work week next week.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job!  I really do mean that too.  I just need to get a little more ahead on my schoolwork and remove all these Christmas presents from my bedroom.  Come on Christmas break!  In a little under 24 hours I will be doing my happy dance in my pajamas simply because I can and my work week will be over so I can enjoy my itty bitty break and start to play a bit of catchup with my schoolwork!

What do you do to prevent burnout?

No comments:

Post a Comment