Sunday, December 19, 2010

On ugly thank you cards


N
ow I'm not a negative person normally, however I have to get something off my chest.  I hate the ugly thank you cards that my family tends to buy.  As a graphic designer, I'm semi-ashamed to admit this since I can easily make my own, but the holidays always seem to be a chaotic time and I seem to grab whatever thank you cards I can find.  My extended family is rather large and my birthday is Christmas Eve, so there are usually about 20 or so cards going out after the holiday season.  That being said, the cards that typically come in the bigger packs are hideous.  I don't quite see how horrible typography in poorly embossed silver truly says "Thank you for that wonderful gift!"  I had this conversation a few days ago with my mother and said something about designing my own cards, but as she mentioned, by the time I have a chance to make my own cards, I'll completely have forgotten about making them.  In the famous words of Barney Stinson, "Challenge accepted!"  I believe I'll have to add that to my New Years Resolutions (come back on the first to check that out)... maybe I'll make my own holiday cards too.  Granted that I'll probably be making these cards in late summer/early fall, they should be ready in plenty of time.  Once they're done, I'll be sure to put share them in the Etsy shop because nobody should have to buy ugly cards!

I'm hoping in the meantime that I can find some acceptable cards when I go to Paper-Source next this week.  How did that happen?  Wow, just five days until my Annapolis adventure begins!  Time always tends to fly from roughly Thanksgiving to New Year's Day.

Hope everyone's holiday madness is wrapping up and that you're able to relax and enjoy the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment